If you are a current Overland subscriber, use this form to enter the Judith Wright Poetry Prize.
Established in 2007 and supported by the Malcolm Robertson Foundation, the OverlandJudith Wright Poetry Prize for New and Emerging Poets seeks outstanding poetry by writers who have published no more than one collection of poems under their own name. It remains one of the richest prizes for emerging poets, and is open to poets anywhere in the world.
In 2018, the major prize is $6000, with a second prize of $2000 and a third prize of $1000. All three winners will be published in the first issue of Overland’s print magazine of 2018.
Competition closes 11.59 pm, 19 November 2018. Please read the entry guidelines below before submitting.
You may also be interested to read last year’s judges’ report and the winning stories.
To be announced shortly.
Major prize: $6000
Second prize: $2000
Third prize: $1000
All three finalists will be published in Overland 234, autumn 2019.
- The award is open to poets who have had no more than one solo collection of their work commercially published: that is, by a publishing house with commercial distribution.
- The prize is open to Australian and international writers.
- Poems must be unpublished (including online) and not under consideration by other publishers.
- Poems that have won or are under consideration in other competitions are not eligible.
- The winning poems will be published in Overland.
- All submitted poems may also be considered for publication in Overland.
- Entries must be submitted electronically via the Overland submittable system.
- The name of the poet must not appear on the manuscript (including the header or footer) since all poems will be considered anonymously.
- Poems must be no more than 80 lines.
- Multiple entries are permitted, though a separate fee applies to each poem.
- An entry fee of $12 for Overland subscribers and $20 for non-subscribers will be charged. It is possible to become a subscriber and simultaneously enter the competition at a special price of $56.
- Please ensure you are satisfied with your poem before submitting. Poems that are withdrawn and subsequently resubmitted will incur a second fee.
- The competition closes 11.59pm, Sunday 19 November 2018.
- The judges’ decision is final. No correspondence will be entered into.
- Overland staff and board members, and their families, are prohibited from entering. All previous, current and ongoing contributors are eligible to enter.
- Winners will be announced in February 2019. Subscribe to the Overland email bulletin to receive announcements as to the results.
About subscribing to Overland
Overland is a not-for-profit magazine with a proud history of publishing ideas and voices often excluded from mainstream media and publishing outlets – but it would not exist without its subscribers. You can help support Overland by taking out an annual subscription on our website, which start at $45.