If you do not have a current subscription to Overland, use this form to enter the Judith Wright Poetry Prize.
About subscribing to Overland
Overland is a not-for-profit magazine with a proud history of publishing ideas and voices often excluded from mainstream media and publishing outlets – but it would not exist without its subscribers. Moreover, Overland subscribers can enter our competitions at a special subscriber rate. If you’d like to take out a year’s subscription and enter the competition for just $62, visit the Overland shop.
Established in 2007 and supported by the Malcolm Robertson Foundation, the Overland Judith Wright Poetry Prize for New and Emerging Poets seeks outstanding poetry by writers who have published no more than one collection of poems under their own name. It remains one of the richest prizes for emerging poets, and is open to poets from Australia and New Zealand. In 2023, the major prize is $6000, with a second prize of $2000 and a third prize of $1000. All three winners will be published in Overland.
**Please ensure you are satisfied with your story before submitting. Stories that are withdrawn and subsequently resubmitted will incur a second fee.**
This year's judges are Autumn Royal, Elena Gomez, Andy Jackson and Toby Fitch.
Major prize: $6000
Second prize: $2000
Third prize: $1000
- The award is open to poets who have had no more than one solo collection of their work commercially published: that is, by a publishing house with commercial distribution.
- The prize is open to Australian and New Zealand writers only.
- Poems must be unpublished (including online) and not under consideration by other publishers, including Overland.
- Poems that have won or are under consideration in other competitions are not eligible.
- The winning poems will be published in Overland.
- All submitted poems may also be considered for publication in Overland.
- Entries must be submitted electronically via the Overland submittable system.
- The name of the poet must not appear on the manuscript (including the header or footer) since all poems will be considered anonymously.
- Poems must be no more than 80 lines.
- Multiple entries are permitted, though a separate fee applies to each poem.
- An entry fee of $20 for non-subscribers will be charged. It is possible to become a subscriber and simultaneously enter the competition at a special price of $62.
- Please ensure you are satisfied with your poem before submitting. Poems that are withdrawn and subsequently resubmitted will incur a second fee.
- The judges’ decision is final. No correspondence will be entered into.
- Overland staff and board members, and their families, are prohibited from entering. All previous, current and ongoing contributors are eligible to enter.
- Winners will be announced in February 2024. Subscribe to the Overland email bulletin to receive announcements as to the results.