If you have just taken out a subscription to Overland, use this form to enter the Neilma Sidney Short Story Prize.
Supported by the Malcolm Robertson Foundation, and named after the late Neilma Gantner, this prize seeks excellent short fiction of up to 3000 words themed around the notion of ‘travel’; imaginative, creative and literary interpretations are strongly encouraged. This competition is open to all writers, nationally and internationally, at any stage of their writing career.
The winning story will receive a $4000 first prize and publication in Overland’s first print issue for 2018. Two runners-up will each receive $500 and be published at Overland online to coincide with the release of the print magazine.
Competition closes 11.59 pm, 26 November 2017. Please read the entry guidelines below before submitting.
You may also be interested to read previous judges’ notes and winning stories.
To be announced shortly.
First place: $4000
Two runner-up prizes of $500 each
The winning story will be published in Overland 230, autumn 2018.
- This is a prize for original pieces of short fiction written in English, up to 3000 words in length.
- Stories must be unpublished (including online) and not under consideration by other publishers.
- Stories that have won or are under consideration in other competitions are not eligible.
- The prize is open to writers nationally and internationally, at any stage of their career.
- Submissions will be processed electronically.
- The competition will be judged anonymously. The author’s name must not appear on the manuscript or else the story will be disqualified.
- Multiple entries are acceptable, although each must be entered into the submission system separately and accompanied by the relevant fee.
- Each entry must be accompanied by a fee of $20 or $12 for Overland subscribers. It is possible to become a subscriber and simultaneously enter the competition at a special price of $56.
- The winning story will be published in Overland; runners-up will be published at overland.org.au. Other entries may be considered for publication.
- The closing date is 11.59pm, 26 November 2017. Late entries will not be accepted.
- The judges’ decision is final. No correspondence will be entered into.
- Overland staff and board members, and their families, are prohibited from entering. All previous, current and ongoing contributors are eligible to enter.
- Winners will be announced in February 2018. Subscribe to the Overland email bulletin to receive announcements as to the results.