If you do not have a current subscription to Overland, use this form for fiction submissions. You can support Overland by becoming a subscriber below.
- Due to the number of submissions our editors and volunteer readers receive, we ask that writers submit no more than one story for consideration at any one time. Please wait for a response before submitting other work.
- We are currently only accepting fiction submissions from writers living and/or working in or around Australia and Aotearoa New Zealand. We are not accepting short fiction from other international writers for the print magazine at this time.
- All work should be submitted as WORD documents in 12pt Times New Roman double-spaced.
- Please do not resubmit an edited version of a story already considered unless you have been invited to resubmit.
- We receive a large volume of submissions, so the current response period is 6 months or more. With this in mind, please wait at least six months before asking about progress on a piece under consideration. All submissions receive several readings.
- We allow simultaneous submissions but please let us know if a story is accepted elsewhere.
- Most importantly, read Overland. Reading Overland will increase your chances of publication. If you are familiar with the fiction we publish, it will show in your work.
- Payment for stories published in the edition is $500. Payment for stories published online is $150.
About subscribing to Overland
Overland is a not-for-profit magazine with a proud history of publishing ideas and voices often excluded from mainstream media and publishing outlets – but it would not exist without its subscribers. You can help support Overland by taking out an annual subscription on our website, which start at $45, or in the form below.
Regarding the payment options below: only fill this section out if you wish to subscribe to the magazine.