If you are a current student or staff member at Victoria University (Australia), use this form to enter the Overland Victoria University Short Story Prize for New Writers. Please include your student or employee number in the 'Cover Letter' text field.
This annual competition encourages excellent and original short fiction by new writers of up to 3000 words in length. At a grand first prize of $6000, it is a coveted annual fiction award for new writers. There are also two runner-up prizes of $1000. All three winners will be published in the spring issue of Overland.
For the purposes of this competition, ‘new or emerging’ describes a writer who has published no more than one book with commercial distribution. (That is, writers who have no books, or who have published one book are eligible; writers with two books or more are ineligible. If you are the author of several chapbooks or books with small print runs, you can contact us to confirm eligibility: email@example.com.)
Competition closes 11.59 pm, Monday 3 June 2019. Please read the entry guidelines below to confirm eligibility. You may also be interested to read the 2018 judges’ notes and the winning stories. Or the 2017 judges’ report and the winning stories.
First place: $6000. Two runner-up prizes of $1000 each.The winning story will be published in Overland 236, spring 2019.
- This is a prize for original pieces of short fiction written in English, up to 3000 words in length.
- Stories must be unpublished (including online) and not under consideration by other publishers.
- Stories that have won or are under consideration in other competitions are not eligible.
- The prize is for new and emerging writers. Entrants are eligible only if they have not, by the close of the competition, published more than one single-authored print book (in any genre or form) via a commercial publisher with effective national distribution – that is, distribution in all states. Writers who have published one book, or in multi-authored works, in self-published books or in exclusively electronic form are still eligible.
- Submissions will be processed electronically. Stories should be formatted at 1.5 line spacing and a minimum of 12 point font size (unless formally experimental).
- The competition will be judged anonymously. The author’s name must not appear on the manuscript or else the story will be disqualified.
- Multiple entries are acceptable, although each must be entered into the submission system separately and accompanied by the relevant fee.
- Students currently enrolled in or staff who work at Victoria University may enter free of charge by including their student or staff number with their entry. Otherwise, each entry must be accompanied by a fee of $20 or $12 for Overland subscribers.
- The winning entries will be published in Overland. Other entries may be considered for publication.
- The closing date is 11.59 pm AEST, Monday 3 June 2019. Late entries will not be accepted.
- The judges’ decision is final. No correspondence will be entered into.
- Overland staff and board members, and their families, are prohibited from entering. All previous, current and ongoing contributors and volunteer readers are eligible to enter.
- Winners will be announced early August 2019. Subscribe to the Overland email bulletin to receive announcements as to the results.
About subscribing to Overland
Overland is a not-for-profit magazine with a proud history of publishing ideas and voices often excluded from mainstream media and publishing outlets – but it would not exist without its subscribers. You can help support Overland by taking out an annual subscription, which start at $45, on our website.