If you are a current Overland subscriber, use this form to enter the Neilma Sidney Short Story Prize.
Supported by the Malcolm Robertson Foundation, and named after the late Neilma Gantner, this prize seeks excellent short fiction of up to 3000 words themed around the notion of ‘travel’; imaginative, creative and literary interpretations are strongly encouraged. This competition is open to all writers, nationally and internationally, at any stage of their writing career. The winning story will receive a $5000 first prize and publication in Overland’s autumn print issue for 2023. Two runners-up will each receive $750 and be published at Overland online to coincide with the release of the print magazine. **Please ensure you are satisfied with your story before submitting. Stories that are withdrawn and subsequently resubmitted will incur a second fee.**
Entries closes 11.59 pm, Monday 14 November 2022. Please read the entry guidelines below before submitting. You may also be interested to read previous judges’ notes and winning stories.
The judges to be announced.
First place: $5000. Two runner-up prizes of $750 each. The winning story will be published in Overland’s autumn 2023 issue.
- This is a prize for original pieces of short fiction written in English, up to 3000 words in length.
- Stories must be unpublished (including online) and not under consideration by other publishers, including Overland.
- Stories that have won or are under consideration in other competitions are not eligible.
- The prize is open to all writers from Australia or New Zealand (located in Australia or elsewhere).
- Submissions will be processed electronically. Stories should be formatted at 1.5 line spacing and a minimum of 12 point font size (unless formally experimental).
- The competition will be judged anonymously. The author’s name must not appear on the manuscript or else the story will be disqualified.
- Each entry must be accompanied by a fee of $12 for Overland subscribers.
- Multiple entries are acceptable, although each must be entered into the submission system separately and accompanied by the relevant fee.
- The winning entries will be published in Overland. Other entries may be considered for publication.
- The closing date is 11.59 pm, Monday 14 November 2022. Late entries will not be accepted.
- The judges’ decision is final. No correspondence will be entered into.
- Overland staff and board members, and their families, are prohibited from entering. All previous, current and ongoing contributors are eligible to enter.
- Winners will be announced in March 2023. Subscribe to the Overland email bulletin to receive announcements as to the results.