Did you know that Overland subscribers enter the competition at a special rate? To enter the competition at the special subscriber rate of $12 and take out a subscription to Overland at a discounted rate of $50 (includes four print issues and the daily online magazine, invitations to subscriber events, and other opportunities and giveaways), visit the Overland shop.
Supported by the Malcolm Robertson Foundation, and named after the late Neilma Gantner, this prize seeks excellent short fiction of up to 3000 words themed around the notion of ‘travel’; imaginative, creative and literary interpretations are strongly encouraged. This competition is open to all writers, nationally and internationally, at any stage of their writing career.
The winning story will receive a $5000 first prize and publication in Overland. Two runners-up will each receive $750 and be published at Overland online.
Please ensure you are satisfied with your story before submitting. Stories that are withdrawn and subsequently resubmitted will incur a second fee.
Competition closes 11.59 pm, Friday 20 October 2023. Please read the entry guidelines below before submitting.
You may also be interested to read last year's winning story.
This year's judges are Sara Saleh, Patrick Lenton and Alice Bishop.
- This is a prize for original pieces of short fiction written in English, up to 3000 words in length.
- Stories must be unpublished (including online) and not under consideration by other publishers, including Overland.
- Stories that have won or are under consideration in other competitions are not eligible.
- The prize is open to all writers from Australia and New Zealand (located in Australia or elsewhere).
- Submissions will be processed electronically. Stories should be formatted at 1.5 line spacing and a minimum of 12 point font size (unless formally experimental).
- The competition will be judged anonymously. The author’s name must not appear on the manuscript or else the story will be disqualified.
- Each entry must be accompanied by a fee of $20, or $12 for Overland subscribers. It is possible to become a subscriber and simultaneously enter the competition at a special price of $62.
- Multiple entries are acceptable, although each must be entered into the submission system separately and accompanied by the relevant fee.
- The winning entries will be published in Overland. Other entries may be considered for publication.
- The judges’ decision is final. No correspondence will be entered into.
- Late entries will not be accepted.
- Overland staff and board members, and their families, are prohibited from entering. All previous, current and ongoing contributors are eligible to enter.
- Winners will be announced in February 2024. Subscribe to the Overland email bulletin to receive announcements as to the results.
About subscribing to Overland
Overland is a not-for-profit magazine with a proud history of publishing ideas and voices often excluded from mainstream media and publishing outlets – but it would not exist without its subscribers.
Moreover, Overland subscribers can enter our competitions at a special subscriber rate. If you’d like to take out a year’s subscription and enter the competition for just $62, visit the Overland shop.